Jeffrey B. Engstrom focuses on matters of real estate assessment and taxation with an emphasis on circuit court appeals, Certificates of Error, valuation appeals and state and local incentives. He works with clients to furnish creative solutions to complex legal issues including all that may arise with their real estate taxes.
Jeff brings a perspective informed by years of practice in the field as he has spent his entire legal career in the world of Cook County property tax law.
He first began his legal career at the Cook County Treasurer’s Office where he worked directly with taxpayers and researched policy issues. Later, Jeff joined the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, where he worked in the Real Estate Tax Litigation Unit as an Assistant State’s Attorney. In this role, he:
- Settled thousands of tax objection cases while successfully defending the Board of Review before the Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board.
- Defended the county in numerous appeals and tax injunction cases.
- Was in charge of the adjudication of Certificates of Error before the circuit court.
Whether it was in the Cook County Treasurer’s office or the bustling courtrooms of the Cook County Circuit Court, Jeff’s main focus has remained the same: what is fair for Cook County taxpayers?
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- State and Local Tax Committee
- Real Estate Investment Association, Member
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation , Member